Dental Implants in Chatham, NJ
When you lose a tooth, it can change your life in several different ways. If it’s a tooth that is visible when you smile, the fact that it’s missing will be the first thing people notice about you. Even if it is in the back of your mouth, you will still be aware of its loss every time you try to chew. The good news is that you can get your missing tooth replaced with a dental implant—and you won’t have to give that tooth another thought.
Dental implants at our Chatham and Morristown, NJ area dental office are durable, long-lasting tooth restorations. Dental implants provide people with a tooth replacement that is most like their natural teeth. They blend in perfectly with the rest of your teeth for a seamless look, so you’ll never have to feel self-conscious.
With proper care and maintenance, your dental implant can last for the rest of your life.
When Missing Teeth Are Not Replaced
Missing a tooth can make you feel self-conscious about the appearance of your smile, but the problem with missing a tooth goes deeper than that. Not replacing a missing tooth can impact your oral health in a number of different ways.
- Food can get stuck in the space left by a missing tooth, increasing your chances of developing a cavity or gum disease.
- An untreated, missing tooth can cause your healthy teeth to shift to fill in the space. This can mean undue wear on your teeth as your bite changes.
- You risk bone loss and receding gums when you don’t replace a missing tooth.
The sooner you replace a missing tooth, the less likely you will have to worry about your oral health in the long run.
Replacing Missing Teeth with Dental Implants
A dental implant is made up of three parts:
- The titanium root, which is surgically placed into the jawbone to replace the root of the missing tooth. Titanium is a metal that is easily accepted by the body, so there is little risk of rejection. In fact, it will integrate into your jawbone during the healing process
- The abutment, which connects the titanium root to the replacement tooth
- The crown, which is the tooth restoration that is made to match your natural teeth for a seamless look. This is added after the implant has healed and integrated into the jawbone—usually about three or four months after surgical placement.
Patients who are missing several teeth or a full arch might want to choose implant-supported dentures. This combines the convenience of dentures with the stability of dental implants. There is also a cost savings because usually just four dental implants are needed to support a full arch.
Please Contact Us to Learn More
If you have lost a tooth and are considering dental implants, your first step should be meeting with Dr. Matthew Vaccaro for a consultation. Schedule an appointment at our Chatham and Morristown, NJ dental office today! We also serve patients in the Madison, Harding, and New Vernon, NJ areas.